20 November 2011

Re-GiftersRe-Gifters by Mike Carey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Genre: graphic novel, YA
Part of a series?:  No
On my TBR list?:  No



SUMMARY:  "Re-Gifters" is the story of a Korean-American teen named Dixie who is a contender in a national martial arts competition, but her crush on a classmate is throwing off her concentration and threatening her chances of winning.

This is a stand-alone graphic novel published by Minx. To me, it is a modern version of the romance comics that were so popular in the 1950s. The story isn't quite as mushy as an old romance comic, but Minx books aren't full of superheroes or zombies, either. My three girls have enjoyed all the Minx books they've read so far, and this one is no exception. Even C2, who would never go near a conventional YA romance, enjoyed this book.

The one thing that bothered me about this book was the way the artist drew the main character Dixie and her best friend. I know that the artist was trying to show that Dixie wasn't as feminine as Megan, one of her classmates, but she ended up looking too young to date the boys she was interested in. Art style can turn me away from a graphic novel quickly and I almost put this one down, but I'm glad I didn't.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Anastasia @ Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog said...

I sometimes have trouble with the art distracting me from the story, too. Sometimes the art can even ruin a story for me!