12 April 2011

Go Hug a Librarian!

Well, maybe you shouldn't HUG the librarians, but at least let them know you appreciate their work. Today is National Library Workers Day, and if I was able to get to my local branch I'd give the workers there a big "Thank you!"

The women who work at my small-town library branch are rather cheerful. I don't know them by name, but they recognize me and give me a big smile when I come in for our weekly library run. They always engage me in light chit-chat about the more unusual choices in my check-out pile without commenting on the embarrassing ones (yes, I prefer not to discuss why I'm checking out Sex: A Book for Teens: An Uncensored Guide to Your Body, Sex, and Safety). This branch is right across the street from the middle school and gets a lot of kids in there after class lets out. The women never seem to lose their patience with all the teens that invade their small building in the afternoon, including my twins C1 and C2. They should get a pay raise for that alone!

With branches cutting hours and salaries, those of us who still utilize the library should remind the workers there that we appreciate their service. So go give the workers at your branch an extra smile and a "Good job!"

No comments: