01 February 2009

Sunday Salon: Thoughts on my 2009 Reading

At the beginning of the year, a scant 30 days ago, I said that I wasn't going to join any challenges or set any goals for my 2009 reading. To read for fun was my only aim. However, after finding out that someone in my Bible study group is trying to work her way through the "1001 Books To Read Before You Die" list, I thought I might want to get back to that as well. Then that got me to thinking about other things I might want to accomplish and document on this blog. Here's my short list:

1. I want to see how many books I can finish from the 1001 Books list. I'm not setting a certain number because I chafe against goals and restrictions. I want to chart my progress on the Arikuyomi spreadsheet -- if I can find a free program that will open the blasted thing!

2. I want to see how low I can get the total number of titles on my TBR list at Goodreads. Lately I've been reading a lot of books that aren't on my list. This year I will attempt to be less random and construct and pull my library requests from the TBR list.

3. I will work on writing better book reviews for this blog. Previously, I've been cutting myself some slack and using the excuse that this blog is more about impressions of the books rather than proper reviews. However, I haven't been pleased with my posts as of late, so I plan to learn more about the elements of informative book reviews.

It will take me a couple weeks to request books from my list, so this week is all about the graphic novels. I am currently reading American Born Chinese, and I have five others waiting in my stack. I bet you guys are glad that I've moved beyond the romances for the moment!

No comments: