02 February 2009

Musing Mondays: Book Stores

Here is the Musing Monday prompt from the Just One More Page blog:

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about book stores…

How do you choose what do buy from your local bookstore? Do you have a list, or just browse? What is the selection in your book store like? Do you find what you're looking for? Do you feel pressured to buy the kind of books the store makes prominent? (question courtesy of MizB)

Since I don't drive, I don't go browse at the local bookstores often. The closest shop to me is part of a chain -- Books-A-Million. I only make there about three times a year, and that is usually to buy coffee and a specialty magazine like Vogue Knitting. Since that is all I ever go to the shop for, I guess I always find what I'm looking for!

If you have read any of my three blogs, you know that I have trouble parting with money. I'm not necessarily cheap, but I'm always worried that I will make the wrong decision when spending money. In the case of books, there is also the notion that I will be wasting money because I generally read books only once. Because of all this, I am not tempted by the books that have the big displays at the front of the shop. The books that I usually feel the need to own are manuals that I can use again like cookbooks or knitting books, and that is only after I've checked them out from the library.

No comments: