25 January 2009

Sunday Salon : Book Smart and other thoughts

I forgot a couple things in my last post. First, I didn't link to my post with my impressions of The Plain Janes. Here ya go.

Another thing I forgot to mention was a book that I abandoned this past week. Book Smart by Jane Mallison was not the type of book I thought it would be. I'm always going through phases where I want to improve myself, so I am attracted to books that purport to help me with that. I thought that this book would be a study guide to help me understand the classics more deeply. Instead, it is just a list of recommended books with a short synopsis of each. I'm not saying Book Smart is a bad book, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

Speaking of abandonment, I made a shelf for abandoned books on my Goodreads account. There are several reasons why I give up on a book. It isn't always because I don't like it. Sometimes I know I am not in the mood to enjoy a certain book properly. Often I get 1/3 of the way through a book and am not sure if I want to finish it, but there are other books that I definitely want to read before they are due back at the library. I figured it would be a good idea to keep a list of the books I had given up on in case I want to revisit them.

As for today, I did read a book. It was a tiny book -- Babymouse: Queen of the World. I keep forgetting that I can power through the kids' books and the graphic novels quickly. I put them on the bottom of the reading stack and then the library due date comes up before I can read them. I should really move them to the top of my list.

No comments: