15 December 2008

Musing Mondays: Reading on the Go

This week's Musing Monday prompt, from Just One More Page:

I always like to have a book with me at all times – call it a nerdy grown-up security blanket – and rarely do I leave the house without slipping one into my bag (even if I KNOW I’m not going to have a chance to read it). Do you take a book with you? Do you take whatever book you’re currently reading, or do you have a special on-the-go book? And do you have a preference for a these types of book (paperback, hardback; short stories; poetry etc)?


Like our Musing Monday hostess, I always tuck something in my bag even if I doubt that I will need it. Since I don't drive and my husband always makes unscheduled stops, I never know when I will end up waiting in the car while he runs into the bank or something. I tend to read one book at a time so I usually take whatever I'm currently reading. The main exceptions are if I am reading a heavy book that will weigh down my purse. Then I will either start a different book for the road or take something different like my knitting or a magazine.

One other criteria for an on-the-go book is that it won't embarrass me. I know it sounds shallow, but I like to take a book with a cover that looks good and has an intriguing title. The how-to books on improving my sex life stay at home :-). A book that makes me look quirky and intelligent is perfect. For instance, out of my current library stack, I would probably take Blue Like Jazz or Julie and Julia and leave the cookbooks and romances at home.

2 comments:

Beth F said...

LOL on the type of book you carry around. Too funny. I forgot to mention in my post that I keep a few magazines in my husband's car for those just-in-case moments.

Unknown said...

ha ha ... yes, please don't carry around books on how to improve your sex life! I always carry a book with me as well regardless of how heavy it is. You should see my handbag, they're huge, I swear I can carry a baby in it! Btw, love your blog.