01 August 2007

Early brushes with the classics

I've almost completed my preliminary reading list, based on 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. The titles are arranged in the book according to date of publication. Once I hit the 1940s, I noticed that many of the books were once in my possession, some as recently as a month ago. I shouldn't be surprised. These are classics, after all.

It is just another reminder of the circular nature of my life. I've been here before. Trying to turn myself into a well-rounded human being is a task that I have attempted again and again. Each time I would run into a book that I couldn't understand and I would abandon my quest, figuring that my mind wasn't mature enough to make sense of what I was reading. Well, I'm 40 years old now and I think my mind is about as mature as it is going to get :-). Also, I have access to all the minds that inhabit the internet. If I get stuck this time, I'm sure I can count on all of you to help me.

No comments: