05 August 2007

Light reading?

I have three poetry books sitting on my bedside table. I have a list of classics that I should read. Yet, in the midst of my post-Potter depression, I don't feel like tackling any of that. It all seems so heavy.

What do I want to read? I long for a good old-fashioned girl book. Something written by Janet Lambert or Elizabeth Headley. Something with a title like "Cherry Ames, Student Nurse". Something light from a bygone era with a happy ending. Often they are unrealistic and politically incorrect, but I love reading these precursors to girls' series like The Babysitters' Club.

Unfortunately, my local library cleared out those sorts of books years ago. I guess I can thank the local librarians for saving me from myself. Onward to Jane Austen, I suppose.

No comments: