31 July 2007

Weeping over the end of a series

I have paused my assault on the classics to participate in the final ritual of the Harry Potter phenomenon. In other words, I'm reading the last book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows". I've never participated in any of the hoopla surrounding Harry Potter: the websites, the midnight release parties, the cosplay. My interest has been confined to the actual books and the movies based on them. I enjoyed the thought of so much hoopla over a series of books, though. That kind of spectacle is usually reserved for TV shows or movies. It was interesting to see millions of people rushing to get a book in their hands.

Anyway, I'm only halfway through "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" and I've found myself crying more than I did with the previous six. I don't think it would be a spoiler to say that there are more passages describing feelings of grief and loss in this book than in the rest of the series. Could it be that I am just reacting to that? I wonder if there is also a little sadness at the fact that this is the last book mingled in there. It has always been difficult for me to get to the end of a series. When you spend so much time with characters, it is hard to let them go.

My next task will be to figure out what to read after this. Should I try to find a book in a similar style to ease the transition? If I read another book involving magic right away, it might suffer in comparison. Perhaps I should go for a totally different genre. I don't know if I want to dive into a 19th-century classic right away, though. I think I'm looking for a non-fantasy book in 20th-century language. I'm sure I shouldn't have too much trouble finding that :-).

No comments: