01 January 2017

My Reading Goals for 2017

It's that time of year again when everyone talks about goals. My success with goal-setting has been hit or miss, so for the past few years, I've stuck with the Goodreads Reading Challenge. It only requires that you set the number of books you plan to read during the year. I exceeded my goal two years in a row so I got cocky and increased my goal to 100 books for 2016. Of course, that guaranteed that I wouldn't reach it; I only read 59 books last year. So this year I am going to play it safe and aim for 50 books.

Other than the Goodreads challenge, I have a vague idea about reading more broadly. I'm not setting a specific goal just yet because I know that will make me feel restricted. Last year, I took a pass at the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge and I ended up reading only one book. Most of the categories felt too heavy and serious, especially for the type of year I was having. I don't want to veer into literary fiction territory but I need to get out of the historical Christian romance genre more often. This is not a new lament for me; it was one of the reasons I started this blog years ago. I have very little success from year to year, but I keep trying.

No comments: