13 February 2014

"Waiting for Summer's Return" by Kim Vogel Sawyer

Waiting for Summer's Return (Heart of the Prairie Book #1)Waiting for Summer's Return by Kim Vogel Sawyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Synopsis: After moving to the Kansas prairie, Summer Steadman loses her husband and children to typhoid fever. She has no job and no family to go back to, so she accepts Peter Ollenburger's offer to tutor his convalescing son in exchange for room and board. 

This is the first book in a series, but it doesn't end in a cliffhanger. It is one of those series where all the books stand alone fairly well. The main connecting thread seems to be life on the Kansas prairie. I didn't even realize that I had read the sixth book in this series until after I finished this one.

I categorize romance novels as either "sweet" or "hot". This one is definitely sweet romance with the Christian element front and center. There is not a single scene that would make a reader blush. The couple gets together in a realistic manner, and they are given time to resolve their individual issues without the solutions felt hasty or forced. The heroine is dealing with heavy grief in the beginning of the book, and I appreciate the author not trying to brush past it quickly to get to the romance. I would definitely pick up another one of her books the next time I am in the mood for a gentle heartwarming story.



View all my reviews

No comments: