13 March 2011

Sunday Salon: Any other angry book readers out there?



My daughter sent me a link to this video last night and said that it reminded her of me. There is good reason for this. I was reading Soulless last week, and every time I was really getting into it one of the kids would interrupt me with a question. By Friday I was growling at anyone who walked toward me while I had the book in my hand. Not good mum behavior at all!

This is why all the mothers in your life say they don't read. Technically, it isn't about not having time, although it is easier to tell people that. Even if I get a "free" 15 minutes to crack open a book, chances are that my kids will come up with some reason to talk to me. It's like my teenagers can't stand to see me reading. Considering that they are readers, too, I don't know why they can't just let me be.

UPCOMING: I wrote a post earlier this week about anthologies, and it inspired me to pick up a couple from the library.

The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2009 American Fantastic Tales:Terror and the Uncanny from the 1940's Until Now

Honestly, I checked these out more for my kids than myself, especially the anthology of fantastic tales. C2 loves a good mystery or scary story. I also have a couple novels waiting just for me.

A Heart for Home (Home to Blessing Series, No. 3) Changeless (The Parasol Protectorate, #2)

They are more series novels, as usual. I'm having trouble jumping into anything else right now, despite my resolve to read more of the books that are heating up the literary zeitgeist.

No comments: