28 February 2011

"The Day I Shot Cupid" by Jennifer Love Hewitt

The Day I Shot Cupid: Hello, My Name Is Jennifer Love Hewitt and I'm a Love-aholicThe Day I Shot Cupid: Hello, My Name Is Jennifer Love Hewitt and I'm a Love-aholic by Jennifer Love Hewitt

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Genre: self-help, celebrity book
On my TBR list?: No


Summary, from Goodreads:

In The Day I Shot Cupid, Hewitt offers her hard-won wisdom and tells us how to embrace love with both feet on the ground. First, we have to shoot Cupid. We have to believe that happily-ever-after is hard work—it's not all flowers and symphonies and floating hearts.

Wise and wry and refreshingly honest, Hewitt talks about how to pick the right guy and how to know when to let the wrong ones go free, and she offers some surprising truths about the opposite sex.


This book caught my attention because I like Jennifer Love Hewitt and I thought it would be a lighthearted memoir. Apparently, 2011 is my year for not reading book descriptions because this is yet another book that is not what I expected. It also became clear pretty quickly that at 44 years old, I am much older than the target audience for this book.

The "chapters" are really little snippets with topics like the top ways to get over a man after a breakup or how miserable it is to be on a diet. If I was reading these chapters as blog posts, I would have enjoyed them more. I've read several books that started out as blogs but fell flat when transferred to paper. The Hewitt book came together as the result of a girls' night out, but it still feels the same. The "surprising truths about the opposite sex" would not be a revelation to anyone who has dated more than one guy or lived with a man for over 20 years, as I have. Still, I can see that a 21-year-old would benefit from knowing that a workout can be a great way to alleviate the post-breakup blues or that you need to stand up for yourself in a relationship.

Ultimately, I think The Day I Shot Cupid makes a great bathroom book. I had it sitting on the edge of the tub in my bathroom and after a couple days, I noticed that two bookmarks had been added to it. Apparently, ABM and M (who just turned 18) had both been reading bits of the book when they were in the bathroom. ABM isn't much of a reader; he liked the book because it was light and the chapters were short. M found the book much funnier than I did, probably because she is young enough to have read some of these jokes for the first time. So if you keep the practice of having magazines like Reader's Digest in your loo, then you might want to slip this book in with them.



View all my reviews

No comments: