05 December 2010

Sunday Salon: Perhaps I Should Read Newer Books

This week I got a link in my email to vote in the 2010 Goodreads Choice Awards. I figured I'd take a few minutes to vote while I was relaxing. It didn't take me long to realize that I haven't read many books published in 2010. There are 23 categories with 15 books each. There was some duplication between categories, of course (like a book being in Young Adult Fantasy and the Favorite Heroine category). Still, out of a pool of over 200 books, I had only read two. Many of the books I hadn't even heard of.

I know when I started this blog, I told myself that I wasn't overly concerned with reading the latest books because all my choices were coming from the public library. However, I think I may have gone too far in the opposite direction. This year, I made an effort to clear books off of my TBR list that have been on there for several years. Perhaps in 2011, I should try to snag more of the new releases as they show up at my local branch.

CURRENTLY READING: I've been making a lackadaisical attempt to get through The Dead and the Gone. It is from my TBR list, but once I checked it out I found I wasn't in the mood for dystopian fiction. So my natural inclination to finish what I start is fighting my desire to ditch this book.

No comments: