08 December 2010

My Favorite Children's Book

Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book (Classic Seuss)Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book by Dr. Seuss

This morning a friend mentioned that she had to buy a children's book to take to a function and asked me for a recommendation. Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book immediately leapt to mind and it occurred to me that I have never mentioned this book on my blog.

I didn't discover this book until my kids were a bit too old to have picture books read to them. Still, I read it to them right before bed on Christmas Eve for several years, and I'm sure they would listen if I offered to read it to them again. The rhymes in the book are the most pleasing to roll around on my tongue of all the Seuss books I've read. When I read it at night, I really get a sense that people all over the world are dropping off to sleep right at that moment.

This is one of my favorite passages:

But it isn't too good when a moose and a goose
Start dreaming they're drinking the other one's juice.
Moose juice, not goose juice, is juice for a moose
And goose juice, not moose juice, is juice for a goose.

The illustrations are great, too. Many of the creatures look all fuzzy and fluffy, like stuffed animals you would want to snuggle up with at night. Even thought it is a little long, I still think this is the perfect bedtime book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for writing this, it was unbelieveably informative and told me a ton