09 October 2010

"Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd" by Holly Black and Cecil Castellucci

Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd HerdGeektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

On my TBR list?: Yes, since October 2009

For some reason, I thought that this was a book of essays, true stories about what it was like to grow up as a geek. It is actually an anthology of short stories with a geeky bent. In case you think that "geek" only applies to someone who is into sci-fi or comic books, then this book may surprise you. The stories fall in line with my definition of "geek", which is anyone who has an strong affection for something and more knowledge about it than the average fan. That's why you will find stories about theater geeks, science geeks, and even "Rocky Horror Picture Show" geeks.

A subtitle for this book could be "Geeks in Love" because many of the stories involved high school outcasts finding one another. I found that those were the stories I enjoyed the most. A few of the stories reminded me of the Disney movie-of-the-month, and that's a good thing. The ones that strayed from that formula were my least favorite. Still, even the stories I didn't like that much were pretty good.



View all my reviews

No comments: