13 February 2009

Seedfolks by Paul Fleishman

Seedfolks Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is a story about an empty lot in Cleveland that is transformed from a junk heap to a community garden. Each of the 13 chapters is told from the perspective of a different participant. The community members are a regular Rainbow Coalition: black, white, Latino, Indian, Korean, etc.



The first two chapters explain how the garden gets started. The line about the young Asian girl trying to get her dead father to see her by planting seeds made me cry! I was also touched by the old lady who didn't even know why the girl planted the seeds but wanted to help her, anyway.



This is a book aimed at young adults, but I don't think you have to be a teenager to enjoy it. I think it is the perfect little story to read in February as you are preparing to resurrect your own garden.


View all my reviews.

No comments: