11 February 2009

Good as Lily by Derek Kirk Kim

Good as Lily (Minx) Good as Lily by Derek Kirk Kim


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
This book is proof that you can't always trust that books from the same line are equal. I read Plain Janes before this one, and it was safe to hand to my youngest son. This one is not. None of the art is graphic, but it contains a few sexual references that are OK for my 16-year-old, but not for my 12- and 10-year-olds.



The story itself is pretty good. A girl finds three other versions of herself, two from the future and one from the past. She spends the bulk of the book trying to figure out what to do with them. The reader doesn't find out what the title means until 2/3 of the way through the book and the emotional impact of this is not played up as much I thought it should be. However, that is a minor gripe.



Unlike Plain Janes, this is a stand-alone story. If you are looking for a quick read with a happy ending, then pick up Good as Lily.


View all my reviews.

No comments: