09 February 2009

Jellaby by Keen Soo

Jellaby Vol. 1 Jellaby Vol. 1 by Kean Soo


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
This is a graphic novel about a girl named Portia who moves to a new town. Portia doesn't fit in with any of the kids at school and her mom works so much that she barely pays attention. When she finds a purple monster in the woods who seems lonely, taking care of him gives Portia a purpose.

The art work is all done in shades of purple. It is clean and uncluttered, which makes it easy to follow the action. The story isn't overly wordy, but there is enough text to make the story clear. I'm not a fan of wordless books, but I don't mind if they are on the minimalist side.

Other elements of the story include a classmate that Portia saves from a bully and a mystery about where Portia's father has gone. I found the story melancholy, but my 12-year-old C1 is anxiously awaiting the next book.


View all my reviews.

No comments: