07 December 2008

Sunday Salon: Giving up on the challenge

Yesterday, I admitted to myself that I am not going to finish the New Classics Challenge. I don't even want to read the books I've picked out. Setting goals has never been a successful strategy for me because I chafe against the restrictions, even if I set up the rules myself.

I may be quitting the challenge but I'm still reading. I'm still on the Christian romance kick and am working my way through Lori Wick's books. The pile on my nightstand also contains a couple humorous memoirs, a YA novel, and a story about Christmas zombies.

This past week, the only novel I managed to finish was The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. I had trouble getting through it, but that may have been because I was not in the mood for sci-fi. I also read Grandma's Wartime Kitchen, a cookbook with remembrances from women who lived during WWII. Up next is probably Whatever Tomorrow Brings by Lori Wick.

1 comment:

Vasilly said...

I know what you mean about making lists for challenges. I almost never finish a challenge if I go by a list. Happy readings!