06 November 2008

Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter

Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
If you are a regular reader of the Yarn Harlot blog, then you may feel like you've read most of this book before. The essays aren't pulled directly from the blog, but they have the same well-worn jokes about obsessive knitters. They made me smile but I didn't laugh out loud.



For me personally, this book is similar to another book I read recently, Ex Libris. In reading both books, I felt like an outsider when I thought I was an insider. I consider myself a knitter, but after reading Pearl-McPhee's book I realized that I am not a Knitter with a capital K.



My two favorite essays from the book were the most poignant ones. Pearl-McPhee takes a break from the humor to share the sadder side of knitting in "One Little Sock". There is also an essay about her friend whose arthritis advanced to her hands and she could no longer knit. In my opinion, these two essays are the gems of the book.


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

The Bookworm said...

I've seen this one around. Great review, those essays sound moving.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/