07 November 2008

Friday Finds (07 Nov 2008)

I haven't participated in Friday Finds for a while, but I came across several books this week that made it to my TBR list. If you want to see what other book bloggers found this week, visit the Friday Finds post at Should Be Reading.


Coming of Age: Growing Up in the Twentieth Century : I heard about this book on CBS Sunday Morning News during their segment on the author Studs Terkel, who passed away recently. I'm not a big history buff, but I like oral histories. The personal nature of them makes history more real to me.

Slow News Day : This is a graphic novel about a writer from California who moves to England to take a job on a newspaper. She's expecting a big-city news desk but ends up on a small-town paper with one cranky reporter. I like graphic novels that aren't all about superheroes, so I want to give this a try.

33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A. : I found out about this book on The Hidden Side of a Leaf blog. It is a collection of essays on women's history by different authors. Along with oral histories, I like reading history books that are aimed at young adults because they are easier for me to understand. Besides, it's nice to have a few books in the library pile that the whole family can read.

Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City : This is the first book in a mystery series aimed at middle-schoolers. There was a post about it on Jen Robinson's Book Page in 2006, which she linked to in a recent post. It goes to show that those old blog posts can still be worthwhile! Anyway, this book is about a team of girls who solve mysteries. My reluctant reader C2 loves mysteries, so I'm hoping that this book will appeal to her.

2 comments:

Jen Robinson said...

Oh, I do hope she likes Kiki Strike. And it's great to know that old blog posts still serve a purpose.

The Bookworm said...

Great finds, 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History sounds like a good one.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/