10 March 2019

The Tennessee Waltz trilogy by Bella Street

Read: 02 Jan - 06 Jan 2019

I read this trilogy when I was nearing the end of my time-travel phase. As of this writing all three books are still available on Kindle Unlimited. These are supposed to be standalone novels but I couldn't really sort out my feelings about the books individually, so I thought I should write a review of the trilogy as a whole.

The first book in the trilogy is Kiss Me, I'm Irish. It features a girl named Emily in England during the Regency era who get transported to modern-day Tennessee. The second book, Kiss Me, I'm Yours, is about a modern-day yoga instructor named Sophie who is flung back to the post-Civil War era. The third book, Kiss Me, I'm Home, wraps up the story with Morgan, a travel agent who has never really gotten along with those around her and can't figure out why.

I am the type of person who has difficulty giving up on a TV show or movie, even if it is something corny like an episode of The Brady Bunch. I just have to see how it is going to end, and Bella Street's writing activated that part of my brain. In Kiss Me, I'm Irish, Street keeps everything just vague enough that I felt like I had to push through the book even when I wasn't sure if I was enjoying it. There was no clue as to why the hero Liam was so moody, and the relationship between him and his sister Tinker seemed strange. By the time the situation is made clear and I started to enjoy the characters and wanted to spend more time with them, the book was over.

Kiss Me, I'm Yours was particularly tough for me to get through because the bulk of it was set in a miserable period of time. Some people may enjoy reading books where characters go through a struggle, but I read for escapism. I didn't enjoy spending time with characters who were dirt poor in a one-room shack and had no friends at all in the surrounding area. "Bleak" would be my word for 90% of this book, but it does have necessary threads that connect the trilogy.

One good thing that can be said about Kiss Me, I'm Yours is that it was more straightforward than the first book. However, the vagueness came back in the third book, Kiss Me, I'm Home. Perhaps I am unaccustomed to writing like this because I read books where the reader usually knows up front who has a secret identity or magic powers or whatever. I will say that by the end of this book, everything from the first two books has been resolved.

Overall, I think this trilogy satisfied my time-travel itch, especially the first book. The aspect that draws me to time-travel novels is reading about people from the past dealing with modern society and there was plenty of that in Kiss Me, I'm Irish. If I were to recommend only one book out of the trilogy, it would be the first one.

No comments: