03 September 2017

Beauty and the Mustache by Penny Reid

Beauty and the Mustache (Knitting in the City, #4)Beauty and the Mustache by Penny Reid
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book does double-duty as book #4 of the Knitting in the City series and as the lead-in to Reid's Winston Brother's series. It is the story of the Winston boys' only sister Ashley returning home after being gone for nearly a decade. She has to deal with a family tragedy, get reacquainted with her brothers, and sort out her immediate attraction to Drew, the stranger who became a trusted family friend in her absence.

I started and finished this book in one day because there were several aspects of it that kept pushing me to turn the page. Despite the serious subject matter, Reid managed to include lighter moments that kept the overall tone of the book from becoming maudlin. The intelligent conversations between Ashley and Drew made me want to read Nietzsche and e. e. cummings for myself. The scenes with Ashley's knitting group were fun and reminded me to seek out other books in the Knitting in the City series, especially Alex and Sandra's story. Reid's descriptions of the TN mountains were vivid enough to make me recall my few visits to the mountains here in NC.

I read the first book of the Winston Brothers series and the first two books of the Knitting in the City series about eight months ago. I really enjoy Penny Reid's writing and regret waiting so long to read more of her work, especially from these two series. I will be rectifying that shortly!

View all my reviews

No comments: