15 August 2017

Cupid's Coffeeshop: Books 1-4 by Courtney Hunt

Cupid's Coffeeshop Set One: Boxed Set (Cupid's Coffeeshop #1-4)Cupid's Coffeeshop Set One: Boxed Set by Courtney Hunt
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

**Free copy provided by author in exchange for honest review**

This novella collection contains the first four books of a series about the romances that start in a once-popular coffeeshop owned by estranged family members who are trying to return it to profitability. Zooey, her brother Patrick, and their cousin Joe have one year to make the coffee shop a success, so the series has 12 romances. This setup means that the couplings are of the whirlwind variety, which fits the novella format.

Everything from the covers to the tone at the start of each novella screams "sweet contemporary romance", which is why I was surprised when the sex showed up. It's not as vulgar as some straight-up erotica, but it isn't behind closed doors, either. Without the sex scenes, there might have been more room in the word count for building the relationships. The only story out of the four that had an abbreviated sex scene was Cherry Blossom Cappucino, which is a romance between two 70-year-olds. As an older woman myself, I'm not sure whether I should be offended that the author decided readers didn't want to read about two old folks gettin' it on, especially since I felt like the other novellas could have benefitted from that abbreviated approach.

Overall, I thought the stories were cute. I read something that said fans of Gilmore Girls might like this, but I don't think this series quite nails the quirky small-town vibe. Still, it is a nice collection of light romances to have on your bedside table for those times when you want something quick to read in between more intense novels.



View all my reviews

No comments: