07 July 2017

Friday Reads, 07 Jul 2017

Although I have been reading this week, there hasn't been much of note. I've been dipping in and out of books on Kindle Unlimited, trying to decide if it is worth keeping the subscription after my free trial ends. I've seen a few titles that I would like to read in the future, but frankly, my budget is so tight right now that even $10/month makes a difference. There are so many titles on my TBR that are available at my local library that paying for a book service seems irresponsible. I guess I made up my mind, didn't I?

I have three books on the go:

Of Rags and Riches Romance Collection: Nine Stories of Poverty and Opulence During the Gilded Age   Of Rags and Riches is a novella collection and it is also an ARC for a book that was published a week ago. You know how I feel about letting ARCs languish on my TBR, so I will be rushing to finish that one.


Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1)  I had every intention of abandoning Whiskey Sour because mysteries and thrillers are not really my thing. However, I got far enough along in the book that the story keeps popping back up in my head. The same thing happens when I watch a TV show or movie. Even if the show is awful, there is usually a point-of-no-return where I have watched too much to abandon the story easily; I have to know how it ends.


Then We Came to the End I was excited when I received my paperback copy of Then We Came to the End, but after reading only a few pages I could tell that I would have to push myself to finish it. I will definitely read it because the publisher sent me a free copy, but so far I have the impression that this is one of those books where nothing really happens. It will be difficult to get through 300+ pages of observations without action.

You may have noticed that I am not particularly enthusiastic about any of these books. They are all well-written, but they have that sense of obligation hanging over them that makes the contrarian in me push them away. I don't want my reading life to be like exercise -- something I do because I should but I don't get any enjoyment out of it. It has been a while since I lost myself in the world that a book has created. I want to feel that again. Maybe with the next book.

No comments: