05 June 2017

Sometime Soon by Debra Doxer



My rating: 2 out of 5 stars
Genre: Chick lit, I think
Format: Free e-book found on Amazon (no longer available as an e-book)
Heat level: Subtle -- one sex scene and it wasn't described in detail

Sometime Soon by Debra Doxer is a what you might call a chick lit novel, or perhaps a slice of life novel. Our heroine is 30-year-old Andrea Whitman. She works in the marketing department of a tech company, she owns her own home, and she has family and friends that she enjoys spending time with. The only thing that isn't going smoothly is her dating life. The people closest to her keep telling her that she is too picky, but Andrea just believes that she has a strong sense of right and wrong. She's decided that she would be perfectly happy with taking a break from dating, but her family and friends won't let that happen.

My feelings about this story were lukewarm. This title has been sitting on my iPad since 2013 and I had forgotten what it was about. I assumed it was a romance, but it really isn't. The story is written in the first person and Andrea tells the reader about what is going on with her family, friends, and a few guys she's dated. There wasn't any big conflict that needed to be resolved and nothing to really keep me turning the pages other than a mild interest in what was going to happen next.

There were a few times when I wasn't sure if I was too far away from the dating scene to understand why Andrea was upset with some of the men. Some of her deal-breakers seemed more like preferences to me -- it would be nice if the guy did XYZ but I could probably overlook the fact that he didn't if he was otherwise a good guy. Andrea got upset over a couple simple things that made me wish someone else was reading this book so I could discuss it with them, but that was the only part of the story that got my blood going a little.

Overall, I found this to be a bland read. It is reading for killing time in the doctor's office. There was just enough spark, though, that I would be willing to check out the author's later books to see if her storytelling skills got better.


No comments: