25 January 2015

Sunday Salon: Temptation Everywhere!

Until I put a halt to adding books to my to-be-read list, I didn't realize how often I ran into information about books. Besides the three daily newsletters that notify me about free e-books, I have reading recommendations staring me in the face on Goodreads, on my library's website, and in my Facebook newsfeed. Then, when I'm watching the Today show or CBS Sunday Morning, there is usually at least one or two authors saying something interesting that makes me want to check out their books. There is temptation everywhere I look!

One of the reasons I set this no-add goal was to get out of my rut and read something on my list that wasn't a prairie romance, and I started that last week. I read Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby. I've watched a couple of movies based on his novels, so I knew his books weren't exactly happy. Still, that book took a little longer for me to finish because I knew after 10 pages that there wasn't going to be a happy ending. Hornby is great with words and there were several passages that made me smile, but overall it was a book where the characters didn't really seem any better off by the end of the book. That's a little sad for me, but I'm glad that I pushed myself to read something different. I'm treating myself to another prairie romance before I tackle another tough book :-).

1 comment:

Bryan G. Robinson said...

Well, I've only read a couple of Nick Hornby, but yeah, I don't think of him as prairie romance. I really liked A Long Way Down, and enjoyed High Fidelity. I think next, I might try About a Boy but it sounds like I'll wait on Juliet, Naked. And I don't blame you for going back to a prairie romance after that.