13 January 2015

Another goal for 2015: No new books!

Keeping in line with my 2015 goal to diversify my reading, I have added another goal: no new books. What I mean by this is that I will stop adding books to my Goodreads to-be-read list and my library wish list for e-books. This will help me break out of my genre rut because I have all kinds of books on my lists but I kept skipping over them to read the prairie romances on my lists and adding more of the same. I have books that have been on my Goodreads list for seven years. Even though this is a virtual stack -- 99% of them are available at my library -- it feels wrong to keep adding books to my list instead of reading the ones already on there.

Currently, I have 504 titles on my Goodreads list. My library's digital book site doesn't give me a total for my wish list, but it does tell me how many of my wish list titles are available: 131 books. There is a small amount of crossover between lists because at one point I was adding books from my library to my Goodreads list, also. Anyway, I'll be working on whittling down my library list first because e-books are more convenient for me to read right now. I'd like to make a significant dent in my Goodreads list, as well, but I will consider this a success if I clear out my library list by the end of the year.

As for my other goals, I've already read four books this year. This means I am three books ahead of schedule on the Goodreads 2015 Reading Challenge. How did that happen? I thought I had read only one or two books since the beginning of the year. Apparently I am averaging two books a week right now. Having teenagers instead of toddlers frees up a lot of reading time!

No comments: