02 December 2012

Sunday Salon: Embroiled in a Total Money Makeover

Last week's reading time was completely consumed by Dave Ramsey's The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness. We don't have a lot of debt compared to the national average, but we stopped tracking our expenses a while ago and I am starting to feel uneasy about not knowing where our money is going. I picked this book up to use as a guideline for getting ourselves back on track. Honestly, I believe that most people can skip the first 100 pages and go straight to the plan and the worksheets in the back. The first half of the book is full of information that is common sense for most people. We know we need to make some sacrifices to pay off our debt. Bring on the plan!

This week's reading time will actually be study time as I prepare for the final exams in my two college courses. This is some dull reading, though, so I may weaken and slip in a few romance novels.

TBR LIST:  I've been adding 5-10 books a month to my to-be-read list over the last few months. The current total is 244 titles. I will take some time this month eliminating titles that no longer interest me in preparation for 2013's reading. Next semester I will only be taking one class, so I should have more time for leisure reading.

This year my goal was to read newer books. In the past most of my books I read were at least 10 years old.  I was missing out on a lot of the cool books that were mentioned on book blogs because I figured it would take too long to get them from the library. I discovered that the wait doesn't seem so long when you have other books to read in the meantime. Out of the 35 books I've read so far this year, 17 of them were published after 2009. That's pretty good for me.

Now I need to find a new goal for 2013. Perhaps I'll take a crack at trying some of the challenges that abound in the book blogosphere. I haven't had much luck with challenges in the past, but I want to give it another shot.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't even bother counting my TBR list. It's infinite.

My Sunday Salon

Dani In NC said...

Rachel, in one sense I think of my TBR list as infinite because I don't actually buy books. I can add and subtract titles at will. I would suffocate if I actually BOUGHT all the books I was interested in, the way some people do. However, since I use Goodreads to keep track of titles that I want to look for at my library later, I end up with all sorts of stats such as how many titles I add each month.

Unknown said...

I used to buy a lot of used books, but now I try to only buy books that I plan on immediately reading. Of course, that doesn't always work out, but I've stopped accumulating them, anyway. :) If you're looking for book challenges, I'd suggest looking at this blog A Novel Challenge