01 July 2012

Sunday Salon: Beat the heat with a book

If you are in the southeastern or midwestern US as you read this, then there is a chance that you know how I feel right now. All my plans for working around the house are on hold until the temperatures return to something approaching normal. The family is already settling into a new heat wave routine that involves getting any cooking or anything strenuous done before 1p. At that point in the day, the heat becomes too much for our fans and window units to handle. When the cooled air is still 87 degrees, I think the only sensible choice is to wear as little clothing as possible, sit still, and read a book.

Friday I finished off Royal Flush, the third book in Rhys Bowen's Royal Spyness series, and then I started and finished an Aussie YA novel called Pink by Lili Wilkinson (my thoughts on this book will be posted later this week). It has been quite a while since I've read an entire book in one morning, and my eyes reminded me that I am not a teenager any longer. When I finished the second book, my vision was so blurry that I couldn't focus on my surroundings. It took a few hours for my vision to revert back to my version of normal. From now on, I need to remember to take breaks to rest my eyes!

I don't know what I will be reading this week. We haven't made a library trip for the past two weeks since we were preoccupied with the end of my job and my son's surgery. I haven't even reserved any books online for my husband to pick up. So if I read anything this week, it will probably come from my local library's selection of ebooks and downloadable audio books. I've also toyed with the idea of revisiting my goal of reading books from the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list. Stay tuned to see what I come up with!

2 comments:

Vasilly said...

I know what you mean about the heat! Fall and winter will always be my favorite seasons. :-) Have a good week.

ArchivedProfile said...

LOL @ "wear as little clothing as possible, sit still, and read a book." We're dealing with the same thing in the DC area. Thank goodness I still have power because some people don't due to a storm Friday night. I'm looking for light summer reads so I'll stay tuned to see what you end up reading.