19 February 2012

Sunday Salon: A New Mystery Series; Reading with my Teens

Last week, I read Her Royal Spyness, the first book of a mystery series. The book is set in 1932 and our heroine is Georgiana, a penniless cousin of England's King George V who moves to London to live as an ordinary 21-year-old woman and gets mixed up in a murder plot. Although the Great Depression is a backdrop, it is still light and amusing. It written by a modern author so it isn't filled with quips the way a movie filmed in that era would be, but it was just the thing I needed with all the heaviness that has been surrounding my family lately after the death of my husband's mother.

QUESTION:  Do you have a certain type of book that you read to lift your mood?  Or do you avoid reading altogether in times of crisis?

-----------------------------------------

My twin daughters started high school last fall, which means they are finally starting to read some of the authors assigned when I was in school. This year, their English teacher is focusing on Edgar Allen Poe. I am tempted to read along with them. They are already asking me questions, trying to understand the stories they are reading. It has been years since I've read Poe, so I would have to reread them to be able to help my girls. Funnily enough, the first selection in the Soho Press read-along that starts next month is "The Murders in the Rue Morgue". It seems the fates want me to read some Poe!

QUESTION:  Do you do read-alongs with your children?




1 comment:

Amy said...

My moods definitely affect my reading choices, but in times of crises, I find I don't have the concentration to read. And as far as reading along with your children, DO IT! It was one of the things I enjoyed most about my son's middle and high school years.