30 January 2012

E-books take away the urgency to finish

In a previous post I mentioned that I joined the Goodreads reading challenge again this year. To keep on track, I figured I should read four books a month. Unfortunately January didn't go so well, reading-wise. I finished one graphic novel (Bayou, Vol. 2). The rest of the my reading time was spent trying to finish "Make the Bread, Buy the Butter".

Why did it take me so long to read what is basically a cookbook with anecdotes? I think part of the reason is that I am reading it in e-book form. When I pick up a nonfiction book and it it thick, I tend to skim it and focus only on certain bits. With this e-book, I have no visual cue as to how far I've read or how much I have left. Yes, I can look and see that I've read 10% of the book, but for me that isn't the same as have a book in my hand and seeing how many pages are left. Other people I follow online have said the same thing about e-books.

Another thing that is slowing me down is a quirk of my personality. If I own a book, then it takes me longer to read it than if I borrow it from the library. As much as I chafe against deadlines and boundaries, I realize that I need them to get anything done. If left to my own devices, I'd rarely get out of bed! This is yet another reason why I am a more of a book borrower than a book buyer.

No comments: