06 March 2011

Sunday Salon: Eating My Words, Sort Of

I've posted here and in many comments on other book blogs that I have NO interest in buying a Kindle or any other e-reader. Well, in the past couple weeks I've adjusted my position on that issue. Although I still feel as though e-books are temporary and I wouldn't want to buy a lot of them, I've noticed that my public library is offering more YA e-books for lending via Overdrive. The NC Digital Library site is clunky and a hassle to navigate, in my opinion, so I never got a full sense of what books were being offered in audio and e-book format. However, our local library site recently updated its search function so that now when I look for a book, I get not only an option to reserve a copy of the physical book but also a direct link to download an audio or e-book version, if available. This has me thinking that I would like to find an inexpensive older model e-reader on eBay to use just for library books. This would be a great help on those weekends when all the computers in my house are taken and one of my kids (usually C1) is complaining that there is nothing left to read.

Since my last Sunday Salon post, I've managed to work my way through some nonfiction.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
The Day I Shot Cupid
Once-a-Month Cooking

Sadly, I did not get any further than a chapter and a half into the Keith Richards memoir. I'm still thinking about trying out the audio book version, but it has definitely moved to the bottom of my priority list.

The only fiction I have on hand at the moment is Soulless by Gail Carriger. That book captured my attention from the very first page. The only reason I haven't finished it is that my 18-year-old daughter keeps grabbing it! For the most part, however, this is the time of year where my reading list is filled with books about gardening and spring cleaning. It will be the same this year, at least until I can get my hands on a copy of How to Knit a Heart Back Home written by the lovely Rachael Herron.

No comments: