09 September 2010

"Love Soup" by Anna Thomas

Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian EpicureLove Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Genre: Cookbook
On my TBR List?: Yes, since Apr 2010


I have owned a copy of The Vegetarian Epicure since the mid-1980s. One of the recipes saved me from going hungry when I was living on my own and had my paycheck stolen -- but that is a story for another day. When I read in a Roger Ebert review that Anna Thomas had a new cookbook coming out and it was full of soup recipes, I couldn't wait for my library to get it in. As I wrote on my other blog, I always start craving soup this time of year.

Thomas paints lovely pictures of family and friends gathered at the table with warm bowls of soup and hunks of homemade bread. While Thomas' attitude inspired me to get in the kitchen, the recipes contained items that I never see in my local grocery store, like chard. Out of 160 recipes, I only found three that I appealed to my taste buds and fit my skill level. The collection is sectioned into warm-weather and cool-weather soups, so it would be great for someone who shops by the seasons. I would recommend this book to someone who has easy access to a farmer's market.



View all my reviews

No comments: