16 August 2010

"The Little Lady Agency" by Hester Browne

The Little Lady AgencyThe Little Lady Agency by Hester Browne

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Genre: chick lit
On my TBR list? Yes, since Jun 2010
Recommended by: Anastasia at Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog

Book 1 of 3

Synopsis, from Goodreads:

Melissa Romney-Jones can bake a perfect sponge cake, type her little heart out, and plan a party blindfolded. But none of that has helped her get far in life or in love. When she gets fired -- again -- she decides to market her impeccable social skills to single men. To avoid embarrassing her father, a Member of Parliament, Melissa dons a blond wig and becomes Honey, a no-nonsense bombshell who helps clueless bachelors shop, entertain, and navigate social minefields. She even attends parties if a client needs a "date." But when a dashing American starts to request Honey's services on a regular basis, it's only a matter of time before Honey's and Melissa's worlds collide....

The Little Lady Agency is part of my new favorite subgenre: chick lit books set in England. I watch a lot of British TV shows, so I understand the differences in word usage and can almost hear the accent as I'm reading. These books satisfy my appetite for British stories between seasons of shows like Doctor Who.

This was a fun story where the main character Melissa takes advantage of her best assets early on. Browne does a good job of maintaining the suspense as far as which guy Melissa is going to end up with. I don't quite understand why Melissa puts up with her boorish father, but that is a failing of mine and not the author; I've never understood why people put up with mean relatives, even parents.

I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series and following more of Melissa's adventures.

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

nomadreader said...

Oooh, I enjoy British chick lit too. My favorite is Katie Fforde, but I'll have to check this one out@