04 July 2010

Sunday Salon: Breaking from My Reading Norm

Last week I started reading Losing My Cool: How a Father's Love and 15,000 Books Beat Hip-hop Culture. I won it through the Goodreads' First Reads program. This is the first time that I have actually won a book through their program, but it is not my first review copy. Early in the life of this blog I got a review copy from Harper Collins. Back then, I had never heard the term "ARC" and didn't realize the unspoken responsibility that came with accepting one. All I thought was, "Yay! Free book!" Silly me.

Now that I know that it is good manners to actually review the ARCs that you have accepted, I am a bit intimidated by the idea of soliciting them. As regular readers know, I do not consider myself a proper reviewer. I read a book, I throw out a few impressions on my blog, and I'm done. My posts don't come anywhere near the deep analysis that I've read on other blogs. However, I am trying to get better at writing reviews, and I thought that accepting a few ARCs might give me more incentive to improve. So look for my review of Losing My Cool later this week.

What else did I do last week? Well, I finally got around to watching the movie Julie and Julia. You can find my thoughts here. I also read the first book in The Mother-Daughter Book Club series.

What's coming up this week? I went crazy and checked out five books from my TBR list. The battle between my TV-watching self and my reading self will rage on in earnest!

3 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I loved Julie & Julia...and any mother/daughter books are my faves.

Here's my salon:

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2010/07/sunday-salon-july-4.html

Stephanie said...

Ooh, I'm looking forward to reading your review of Losing My Cool. That one's on my TBR list. Hope you enjoy it! :)

Aarti said...

I think a lot of people are intimidated by review copies! My personal policy is to review those books the same way I review everything else. But after a while, review copies can get really overwhelming, too, so I've severely cut down the number I accept. I've found I'm much happier that way- I get to read a lot more of my backlist without any pressure, but I do sometimes get to read new and anticipated books.