29 June 2010

"The Mother-Daughter Book Club" by Heather Vogel Frederick

The Mother-Daughter Book Club (The Mother-Daughter Book Club, #1) The Mother-Daughter Book Club by Heather Vogel Frederick

On my TBR list?: yes, since June 2009

Book 1 of a series

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Synopsis from Goodreads:

Even if Megan would rather be at the mall, Cassidy is late for hockey practice, Emma's already read every book in existence, and Jess is missing her mother too much to care, the new book club is scheduled to meet every month.

But what begins as a mom-imposed ritual of reading Little Women soon helps four unlikely friends navigate the drama of middle school. From stolen journals, to secret crushes, to a fashion-fiasco first dance, the girls are up to their Wellie boots in drama. They can't help but wonder: What would Jo March do?


This was a cute book to share with my 13-year-old daughter C1. It combined elements of two other series that I've enjoyed. The daughters being brought together by the friendship shared by the mothers was one of my favorite parts of the "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" series. Girls with different personalities who are forced together through an activity reminds me of the "Chicks with Sticks" series. The plot may be predictable to an adult, but it isn't so trite that a middle schooler would turn her nose up at it. C1 enjoyed this book, and she has turned away many books where she felt the authors were trying to hard to be hip. I've already put the next book on reserve for us.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: