03 May 2010

"A Promise for Ellie" by Lauraine Snelling

A Promise for Ellie A Promise for Ellie by Lauraine Snelling

Genre: Christian romance, historical fiction
On my TBR list?: yes

Book 1 of 4

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Summary (my own):

Andrew and Ellie have known each other since grammar school and have loved each other almost the whole time. High school graduation is right around the corner and they plan to marry immediately after that. However, Andrew's father throws them for a loop by asking them to wait based on a feeling he has from God. Ellie takes it in stride, but the request unleashes such an anger in Andrew that he alienates Ellie and everyone around him. Will his emotions jeopardize their plans?

Although the words "Daughters of Blessing #1" on the cover led me to believe that I was reading the first books of a series, I soon learned that this wasn't accurate. Technically, it is a new series, but Lauraine Snelling has written NINE books involving the Bjorklund family and friends prior to this one. Although I was interested in Ellie and Andrew enough to finish the book, I wouldn't consider this a stand-alone story. Many references are made to events in the other books, and even though enough information is given to keep the story going I still felt like I was missing something.

Other than the feeling that I was jumping into the middle of a series, this is pretty much a standard Christian historical romance. The book is set in Dakota in 1900, so there are plenty of descriptions of farm life and women having babies. The one difference from the other Christian romances I've read is how Snelling discusses various women's issues. I've had limited experience with this genre, but this is the first Christian novel I've read where women talk about their periods, postpartum depression, and desiring their husbands, among other things.

Overall, this book felt like a gift to the fans who read the two previous series. It is probably not the best book to start with if you have never read Snelling's work. I am going to back up and read An Untamed Land before I decide whether I like her writing style.


View all my reviews >>

No comments: