25 April 2010

Sunday Salon: Book-stealing Child

To wrap up National Poetry Month, I checked out another anthology called Best Loved Poems of the American People. I found out about this book when Dana Gioia mentioned it in his review of Garrison Keillor's Good Poems. I would love to tell you about it, but I haven't even seen the cover of it yet. Why? As soon as my husband picked it up from the library for me, my eldest daughter M confiscated it. Considering that the book was published in 1936, I didn't expect her to even look twice at it. To my surprise, she has been alternately giggling and sighing over the tome ever since. She even took it on a long bus trip she took with the school band on Friday. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to pry it out of her hands before National Poetry Month is over!

UPCOMING: I read two novels while waiting for M to give me my poetry back. My impressions of Laced with Magic and A Woman's Place: A Novel will show up on the blog soon. Reading choices for this week will be limited because I don't have anything on hold at the library. It's been three weeks and my library request schedule is still off-kilter from ABM changing his work schedule. We've finally decided to stick with Mondays as our pick-up day, so hopefully I'll have more books to talk about in two weeks' time.

TBR LIST: My current total is 183 titles, up from my last count of 176. My mini-list of books added in 2008 is down to 21 from the original 25 titles. I also have a title from my mini-list in hand to read this week. Most of the titles left on that list are YA books or light romances so I should be able to run through it quickly. That is, if I can get in the mood to read them. I looked at some of those titles today and said to myself, "What was I thinking when I added THAT to the list?" Perhaps another culling is in order.

No comments: