30 March 2010

"Food Rules: An Eater's Manual" by Michael Pollan

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual Food Rules: An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan

Genre: nonfiction, healthy living
On my TBR list?: no

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is called "a pocket compendium of food wisdom", and I think that it is a good description. I've read Michael Pollan's book In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto and found a lot of fascinating information in it, but I would never be able to get my friends to read it. That's why I like this book. It is a distillation of what Pollan believes about food without all the statistics and such. Each page has a short saying on it to remind you of good eating habits, such as "Use meat as a seasoning." I could hand this book to my friends who say they don't have time to read, and in an evening they would get the gist of what this Michael Pollan they've heard of is talking about.

The edition I read was a tiny paperback that fit easily into my purse. In my mind that makes it more useful. I like the idea of having a little book I can carry with me that reminds me of why I'm trying to eat better. Many of the sayings are just different versions of Pollan's basic mantra ("Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.") and he admits as much. Still, it is a book that I would choose over the latest diet craze any day.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: