06 November 2009

The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Caught (Yada Yada Prayer Group, Book 5) The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Caught by Neta Jackson

Genre: Christian fiction
On my TBR list?: Yes

Book 5 of 7 in a series




This book gives the reader another roller-coaster ride with the Yada Yada Prayer Group. They deal with people going into jail and getting out of jail, young love, pregnancy, job changes, a church merger, and domestic violence. All the while, our narrator Jodi struggles with staying strong in her faith.

Reading this book was like talking to a friend that you've known for a while. Old friends tend to repeat their stories, and Jackson did a LOT of recapping in this volume. I know that it is difficult to know how much you should reference previous events for the benefit of the new readers or those who haven't read the other books in a while. Still, this installment seemed to have a lot more references than the others. I found myself skimming a lot to get to the new plot points.

There also seemed to be a lot about transportation. This is the fifth book in the series; I'm not sure that we still need descriptions of how the various characters get around town, except in the instances when it is germane to the plot. Besides, shouldn't the Baxters have a second car by now?

All in all, it wasn't a bad installment of the series, but I'm starting to feel like I did when I watched the last season of "7th Heaven". I kept watching to the bitter end because I had invested time in the characters. I'm hoping that the last two books take the series out with a bang and not a whimper.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: