12 October 2009

Who Shares Your Passion?

This weekend, I spent some time with my best friend and her sister. They live an hour away from me so I don't get to see them often. It was fun, but it reminded me that I don't have people in my day-to-day life who share my passions. None of my friends or acquaintances read the books I read or watch the shows I watch. When I was a teenager, I used to take this as a sign of my individuality. Now, though, there is a sense of loneliness in not having someone you can discuss the latest episode of Mad Men with or someone that you can recommend a good book to and know that she will read it.

The problem is compounded by the plethora of choices in today's society. There are so many more entertainment options than there were when I was a kid, but there are still only 24 hours in a day. Even with the few people I know who do watch shows I watch, we don't all watch at the same time. There is no such thing as "appointment television" anymore. With DVRs and streaming internet options, there is no urgency to watch a show the day it airs which dissipates some of the excitement surrounding it. I may be excited to discuss Tuesday's episode of Biggest Loser on Wednesday, but if I have to wait until after you watch it on Friday it isn't as fun.

I think this is one reason that social networks are so popular. They give you a forum for talking about your passions when you don't have anyone in your neighborhood to discuss them with. I use the forums on Ravelry to discuss various things and I enjoy them. However, I still miss the fun of being at a table with a friend and a cup of tea discussing a passion that we both share.

Do you have anyone in your real life who shares your passions, or do you rely on the internet to scratch that itch for you?

2 comments:

Jem said...

I am in the same position. I go to a book club and that is great for book talk, but once a month is not often enough. So the various online communities are filling a void, but it is not as fun as "for real" discussions.

Jem said...

Me again,

I have an award for you here: http://thereadingjourney.blogspot.com/2009/10/two-awards.html