28 August 2009

"The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down" by Neta Jackson

The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down (Yada Yada Prayer Group, Book 2) The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down by Neta Jackson

Genre: Christian fiction
On my TBR list?: No
Available on audio?: Yes

Book #2 of an ongoing series (7 so far)



This book picks up a couple months after the events of the first book, and life still isn't calm for Jodi Baxter. The prayer group falls prey to attack by a drugged-crazed woman, and racial tensions surface in the group. All the while, Jodi keeps learning that her image of herself as a good Christian woman needs to be refocused.

As usual, Neta Jackson hit on the exact issues that I struggle with as a Christian. Whereas the Christian books I have been reading are just "clean" romances, the Yada Yada series is more like a devotional hidden in a story. This book is perfect fodder for discussion in a Christian book club, but the story doesn't have the stilted feeling of a story created just to teach a lesson.

I like the way that Jackson fleshes out the characters, as well. Some book series remind me of the TV show The Dead Zone, where each episode was focused on one character: one week Johnny's best friend is in mortal danger, then his son is in mortal danger, then his ex-girlfriend was in mortal danger. By the end of the series, everyone around him had been in mortal danger at least three times! It got old. In this book, Jackson doled out information about all the characters, so I didn't really feel like there was a main plot and a subplot.

Audio: I haven't listened to the audio version of this book, but I can tell you that the reader, Barbara Rosenblat, is great. I've listened to her read Christian fiction by other authors and she conveys the emotion without making it sound sappy.



View all my reviews >>

No comments: