14 June 2009

Sunday Salon: Money and Dirt

This is my last week of work. In addition to job hunting, I plan to recommit myself to blogging regularly. One goal is to make a serious dent in my TBR list over at Goodreads. I don't know how long this period of unemployment will be, but I don't want it to be wasted. There isn't much worth watching on TV during the summer, so I don't have that as an excuse.

As for the 1001 Books list, I am going to put that on hold for a little while. I just don't feel any enthusiasm for any of the books on the list right now. The few that I really want to read aren't available at my local library, and we know I am not a book buyer :-). Rather than torturing myself, I am going to back off for now. Reading is supposed to be fun, right?

READ: This week I finished How to Pick a Peach. It is a pretty good book if you want to shop seasonally and don't know what to look for. It doesn't really help gardeners, though. For instance, it tells readers which states grow the majority of the bell peppers sold in this country and what time of year is best to buy them. I would love a book just as easy to read as this one that added in growing information for home gardeners.

I also read Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. My neighbor lent it to me because she thought I might get something from it. Perhaps I am in denial, but I didn't see myself in any of the situations in the book. The one situation that I did identify with (being overwhelmed by all the things I need to do) was handled in such a flippant way that the advice wasn't helpful. This seems to be a popular Bible study book right now and I was tempted to buy it. I'm glad I didn't.

CURRENTLY READING: I have another book that my neighbor lent me, The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. If you've been monitoring my sidebar, then you know that I've had this book on my bedside table for a while. I've been interested in reading something by Ramsey for a while but his books are never available at the library. Everyone I've heard swears by him, but I have my doubts. The big problem I have with budgeting books is that most of them focus on how to get rid of unnecessary expenses. Anyone who knows us is aware that we moved past the stage of cutting out credit card debt and eliminating trips to the movies a long time ago. We have cut our expenses to the bone but we still feel like we are struggling. There doesn't seem to be a book for that situation, but I still keep looking.

The Dirt on Clean is my in-the-purse book because I think it would make a better conversation starter than the Dave Ramsey book. I am fascinated by books that give the history of different cultural practices without being dry like a textbook. This one talks about bathing through the ages. Everyone has their own idea of what they consider "clean" but they don't usually discuss it. This book is like a peep show!

UP NEXT: I have a copy of Steering the Craft by Ursula K. Le Guin. It is a book of writing exercises so I am saving it for next week when I have more time to devote to it. Other than that, the bedside table is empty. I'm going to slow down on checking out books for a while so I can devote the proper amount of attention to the ones I have.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

If I saw you reading The Dirt on Clean, I'd probably start a conversation with you. Sounds fascinating in a strange sort of way.

Gavin said...

Thanks for the tip on The Dirt on Clean! I have to add that to my list. Have a good reading week.

Literary Feline said...

I hope you are able to catch up on some of that TBR reading while you are looking for a new job. That will be a good way to balance the stress that always seems to come with job hunting. :-)

The Dirt on Clean sounds like an interesting book. From your description, it reminds me a little of Mary Roach's Stiff. Obviously not the same subject matter, but an interesting but little spoken of topic.

I hope you have a great week!