29 December 2008

Musing Mondays: Recommending books

This week's Musing Monday prompt, from Just One More Page:

How often do you recommend books to others, and who do you recommend them to? Do you only recommend books to your “reading friends” or to anyone you think might find the book interesting? What does it take for a book to make it to your ‘recommendation’ list?

I often read books that I think would be perfect for one of my friends, but I rarely recommend them. Most of my friends say that they are too busy to read. If I suggest a book, my friends smile and say they will give it a try to be polite. Then I am disappointed when they don't really read it.

It makes me a little sad that I don't have anyone to discuss books and TV shows with in my real life. In the past I have watched TV shows I'm not really interested in, like American Idol, just to have something to discuss with my coworkers. Part of the fun of consuming media is being able to share it with others. So those of you who have reading buddies or belong to book clubs, just remember how lucky you are.

1 comment:

Beth F said...

I love making recommendations, but I don't worry about it too much if I guess wrong. My answer was a lot different from yours!

Glad you have online friends to talk books with!