29 November 2008

Amateur Gourmet by Adam D. Roberts

The Amateur Gourmet: How to Shop, Chop and Table Hop Like a Pro (Almost) The Amateur Gourmet: How to Shop, Chop and Table Hop Like a Pro by Adam D. Roberts


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars

To me, the title of this book is a bit misleading. It sounds like an instructional manual, but I didn't pick up any specific skills from it. It's not a cookbook, either; there are a few recipes in it, but they all came from other cookbooks. This book is really an account of how Roberts connected with cooking and his attempts to get his family and friends to share his passion. He shares anecdotes about dining alone in Paris, tasting food from other cultures, and cooking for his restaurant-obsessed family.

When I get into a knitting slump, I flip through knitting catalogs or go to Ravelry.com and get inspired again. This book serves the same purpose for someone who has gotten into a food rut and needs a gentle nudge to get out of it. When I finished the book, I didn't learn anything new but I had a strong desire to get into the kitchen and cook something.


View all my reviews.

No comments: